Nurse Care Manager
New York, NY
- Coordinates, monitors and documents the health care of foster children placed within the agency' s various foster care program (Family Foster Care, Treatment Family Foster Care, or Congregate Care Programs). Activities include, but are not limited to:
- Tracks periodic health and dental exams. Notifies foster parents of examinations that are due and follows up with foster parents when appointments are failed and need to be rescheduled.
- Coordinates referrals made to specialty clinics and follows up any recommended tests, treatments or therapies.
- Makes home visits as mandated by the specific foster care program contracts, as needed or requested by Health Care Supervisor.
- Follows up incident/accident reports, emergency room visits, and sick visits to ensure that the prescribed medical regimen is being carried out.
- Reviews and documents all medical and dental reports and coordinates follow-up as directed.
- On a case by case basis, completes or coordinates completion of forms required for specific purposes – i.E., school, working papers, camp, and adoption. Etc
- Monitors both medical and dental compliance and intervenes with child, foster parents and caseworker when
- Interviews birth parents, foster parent and /or child about child' s health history and current health status; measures vital statistics, screens vision and hearing; and administers immunizations prescribed by pediatrician.
- Reviews completed examinations forms, records pertinent information in chart, and complete and forwards to casework supervisor any recommendations for follow-up care.
- Educates the children and their families as well as agency colleagues regarding health and safety issues.
- Serves as a resource to casework and administrative staff concerning the health status of his/her clients
- Participates in Family Team Conferences and clinical meetings as indicated
- When indicated, confers in person and /or on the telephone with children, foster parents and birth parents about the health care needs and medical management of the children in his/her caseload
- Maintains a close working relationship with the community-based health care facilities. On a regular basis consults with staff of those facilities to educate them about foster care issues, to discuss and solve any problems and obstacles to CGS children accessing appropriate care, and to enhance communication between all parties involvedcompliance is in jeopardy
- QUALIFICATIONS /SKILLS
- Current Licensure by the New York state Department of Education as a Registered Professional Nurse
- Minimum one year of nursing experience, preferably in pediatrics.
- Current holder of professional liability / malpractice insurance.
- Bilingual Spanish
- Competent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Etc.)